Baking at home is a fun activity to do. It can also be used as a time to bond with your kids as you can get them to help out with baking and decorating the cake. In order to achieve the cake design you want, you need to work with a few basic cake decorating supplies and tools. As they say, even though science looks like an art, it is actually a science. You need to follow the exact measurements and the right tools in order to make your cake look and taste good.
Below is a list of the top cake decorating tools that professional bakers use to create their masterpiece:
- Cake Board: Classic round cakes are no longer the norm; you can try out different shapes and sizes of cakes depending on your desired style. It all starts with the cake board. You can purchase custom shaped and sized boards to create the cake shape you want. The best cake makers Melbourne professionals rely on this basic tool to perfect their creation and you should too!
- Cake Disk: You can make your own or buy from cake decorating supplies online stores. This disk is basically the same size as the cake itself. The disk is intended for holding the cake while you frost or add in your decorations. It also makes transporting the cake from one platform to another.
- Turntable: Again, this is a basic tool used by cake makers because this is where you will mount the cake on a pedestal. An average turntable measures at 12 inches in diameter. This makes it really easy to rotate the cake as you are decorating and to ensure even frosting on all sides.
- Icing Spatula: This is a tool that goes so well with the turntable – as you are rotating the cake on the platform, you will also be using the spatula to evenly coat the cake with icing or frosting. The blades are either straight or offset. The straight blade is long and narrow to smooth out the surface of the cake’s frosting. Meanwhile, an offset blade is recommended so you will keep your knuckles out of the way and keep it from messing up the frosting.
- Piping Bag: This is another popular and must-have item for cake decorating. This is used for piping in icing into the cake for additional decorative detail. The piping bag can also be attached with various shaped decorating tips. This will allow you to create different effects onto the cake once you squeeze out the icing.
- Pastry Brush: This is used for brushing in melted sugar or butter onto the cake to enhance the flavor. You can also use it to brush off any excess crumbs on the cake’s surface for an even and smooth finish once the frosting is applied onto it.
Are you looking to start building your own dream cake? It’s easy when you have the right cake decorating supplies to turn your vision into a reality. Check out http://www.choicecakes.com to find all of your baking essentials in one place.